About the AESA Award Program
Annually, the Executive Council of AESA invites its members to recognize their colleagues and peers for their contributions to Educational Service Agencies. A description of each of AESA's national awards is below.
Nominations for outstanding candidates are submitted each year for their contributions to ESAs at the regional, state, and/or national level. The four awards open for nomination from the general membership include:
- The Justus A. Prentice Award acknowledges contributions through executive leadership in the advancement of regional educational service agency programs at the regional, state, and national levels.
- The Walter G. Turner Award recognizes contributions in the advancement of regional educational programs at the regional, state, and/or national levels.
- The E. Robert Stephens Award acknowledges contributions that advance understanding of regional educational agencies through research, writing, and/or publications at the regional, state and national levels.
- The Brian L. Talbott Award acknowledges an individual or agency for contribution in the area of technological innovation and support to local districts and educational service agencies.
The AESA Executive Council selects the National Award recipients each year from the pool of nominations it receives. The Awards are presented at the Annual Conference unless otherwise noted.
Download the 2022 National Award Nomination Packet HERE.
Congressional Service Award
The Congressional Service Award recognizes members of the United States Congress or a federal agency for meritorious support of federal education legislation and Educational Service Agencies.
AESA annually honors one or more members of the United States Congress who have provided:
- Strong support for furthering the federal role and funding of ESAs,
- Advocated for positions on federal legislation supported by AESA,
- Served in a leadership role or on a congressional committee sponsoring legislation supporting ESA legislation.
It is important that we recognize our elected officials for supporting our issues. You are invited to nominate a Member of Congress for this honor.
This award is presented at the September Educators' Call to Action conference in Washington DC.
Additionally, a recipient of Peter C. Young Award may be selected annually by the AESA Executive Council. The Peter C. Young Award periodically recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to educational service agencies or service to AESA.
This award is presented at the Summer Leadership Conference.